Massar Egbari band members came up with a sarcastic band name since they felt the strains of social powers wanting to stereotype most aspects of society and how people should think. Massar Egbari presents music and songs talking about the general social issues effecting people lives. Through the members’ different musical backgrounds, the band presents a kind of Alternative Egyptian Music, mixing rock, jazz and blues with some Oriental music.
Band Members: founded in 2005
Ayman Massoud: Keyboards
Hani El Dakkak: Guitar & Lead Vocal
Ahmed Hafez: Bass guitar
Tamer Attallah: Drums
Mahmoud Siam: Guitar
- In 2007, Massar Egbari started its international musical career by participating in 2 international festivals: Malta Arts Festival in Valletta-Malta and in Barisa Rock Festival in Istanbul – Turkey (a three-day festival, 62 bands from more than 6 countries).
- In 2008, the band participated in the Biennal of young artist from Europe and the Mediterranean (Puglia2008) in Bari – Italy.
- In 2009, Massar Egbari was invited as a special guest in the biennale of young artists from Europe and the Mediterranean in Skopje, Macedonia, and they performed 6 times on different stages in the city.
- The band also participated in Festival Adriatico Mediterraneo in Ancona in Italy in 2009.
- In 2010, the band started to perform in other African countries as it participated in Sauti Za Busara Music Festival in Zanzibar – Tanzania, which is one of the most important music festivals in East Africa, gathering 40 bands from different African countries.
Some Local Appearences/Concerts:
- 9/3/2005 El Sawi Cultural Wheel Celebrating Fathy Salama’s Grammy Award and BBC Award
- 24/6/2005 Jesuits Cultural Center Fête De La Musique 2005
- 30/7/2005 Bibliotheca Alexandrina Sound and Light International Festival
- 23/3/2006 Kom El Dekka CelebratingSheikh Sayed Darwich Anniversary
- 15/9/2006 Cairo Conference Hall ( The Chinese Garden) The SOS Music Festival
- 18/10/2006 HANDS El Rakia Music Festival
- 22/3/2007 Kom El Dekka Sayed Darwich Street Festival
- 29/2/2008 Cairo ConferencHall ( The ChineseGarden) The SOS Music Festival
- 12/7/2008 Bib.Alex (the Plaza) International summer festival
- 26/3/2009 Kom El Dekka Sayed Darwich Street festival
- 11/4/2009 Eemar Mercedes GLK launch
- 8/5/2009 Gezia youth Center SOS Music Festival (Vol.10)
- 16/11/2009 Al Gazira youth center The 20th anniversary of the Convention on the Rights the Child
- 10/06/2010 Darb 1718 and El Genina Theatre Artbeat Festival
Massar Egbari Awards:
- Massar Egbari won the Prize for The Best Band Performing Original Songs in Arabic in the first International Occidental Music Competition held in Bibliotheca Alexandrina in 2006.
- Ayman Massoud won the prize for the Best Keyboard Player in the same competition.
- Ahmed Hafez won the prize for the best Bassist in the Second International Occidental Music Competition in 2007.
- Hany El Dakkak won the prize for the best Vocalist in the same competition.
- Massar Egbari also won a Special Award in Other Songs Contest 2005 organized by the Euro med Café. 104 songs from more than 20 Mediterranean countries participated in the contest and the band’s song Kol El Khal’ (written by: Salah Jaheen and composed by: Ayman Massoud) was selected to get a Special Recognition award. (http://www.euromedcafe.org/swinner.asp?lang=ing&documentID=841)
- In 2006, Massar Egbari’s song ‘Taam El Byout’ (written by: Abd El Rehim Mansour and composed by: Ayman Massoud) was selected to get a special award in Other Songs Contest. And the song stayed the most listened song on the Euro med café website months. (http://www.euromedcafe.org/swinner.asp?lang=ing&documentID=4705)
- Massar Egbari recorded their remix of Sayed Darwich’s song ‘Ana Haweit’ in the compilation CD ‘Rock 4 Life’.
- Massar Egbari recorded their song ‘Addef’ in a compilation CD called Kawalis Masr (Backstage Egypt) with 4 other independent bands in Egypt.
- The band also released a remix of their song ‘Prince of Egypt (Massar)’ on the CD called Remix 2006. The song was recorded in a workshop with Arab musicians. Featured musicians: Adel El Louzi (violin) from Morocco, Donia Hattab (Flute) from Tunisia, Orwa Saleh (Bass), Yazen Al Hazim (Drums) from Syria and Wael El Sayed (Accordion) from Egypt.
- Massar Egbari recorded their song ‘Ana Haweit’ in the movie ‘Koblat Masrouka’ directed by the Egyptian filmmaker Khaled El Haggar. The film was selected as the opening film for Alexandria International Film Festival.
- Massar Egbari joined the Lebanese pianist and singer Mike Massyin his tour in Egypt in January 2007.
- The band members run their own studio Hi-Hat Music Studio since 2005. The studio hosted two training workshops: sound engineering and Music management and production. Hi-Hat studio also hosted a lot of workshops gathering Egyptian
and foreign musicians. In less than 2 years the studio became one of the most important places in the independent music scene in Alexandria.
- Live Magazine (September 2006).
- Live Magazine (October 2006).
- Alex Times (November 2006).
- Ahram Hebdo (August 2007).
- Ehna Magazine (September 2007).
- Radio & TV magazine (June 2008).
- Egypt’s daily news (November 2008).
- Alex Times (April 2009).
- Alex Agenda (May 2009).
- Alex Agenda (December 2009).
- Egypt Today (February 2010).
- Alex Times (February 2010).
TV & Radio Appearances:
- MAZZIKA TV (SOS Music Festival 1 coverage and interviews).
- Dream TV (SOS Music Festival 1 coverage and interviews).
- Nile Culture TV (Star Maker program) in 2005.
- Nile Culture TV (An Egyptian Tale) in 2006.
- CNN World (Barisa Rock Festival Documentary).
- TRT (Barisa Rock Festival coverage and interviews).
- OTV (Covering the recording session of the band’s song ‘ADDEF’ @ Ganub Studio)
- Orbit TV (in the festival held to celebrate Fathy Salama’s Grammy award and BBc award).
- OTV (Covering Massar Egbari’s concert @ El Sawy Culture Wheel-May 2007).
- Modern Egyptian TV (Covering Massar Egbari’s concert @ El Sawy Culture Wheel – September 2007).
- OTV (Covering Massar Egbari’s concert @ El Sawy Culture Wheel – September 2007).
- Dream TV (Covering Massar Egbari’s concert @ El Sawy Culture Wheel – September 2007).
- Maktoob TV (Interview with the band @ Cairo Jazz Club).
- Mazzika TV (SOS Music Festival 7 coverage and interviews).
- ART TV (SOS Music Festival 7 coverage and interviews).
- MTV Italy (Coverage of the Biennal of young artists – Puglia2008).
- Zoom in Alex (Bib. Alex concert and interview with the band).
- A 2 hours radio interview with Horeyetna Web Radio.
- ON-TV (coverage of Massar Egbari & Black Thema Project).
- Dream TV (coverage of Massar Egbari & Black Thema Project).